Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Sense of Perspective

Ever watch HeeHaw back in the '70s? It was a favorite of my grandparents. Or, as I reconsider today, it may have been a favorite parenting tool (grand or otherwise).

Kate and Ira (my grandparents) had one favorite, particular skit, and the volume was always dutifully cranked in order to enhance their enjoyment of it.

Four moonshiners, jugs in hand, would swig and croon:
Gloom, despair and agony on me (moan)
Deep down depression, excessive misery (wail)
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all (sob)
Gloom, despair and agony on me!
The lesson was probably wasted on us kids because as seasoned complainers ("it's what kids do," said a vampire on The Dresden Files, "they complain") we failed to recognize it as satire and uncover the underlying message: "Be grateful and appreciative for every blessing you enjoy; don't destroy what little you have because you have so little."

As I get older, however, the universe, God and Dear Abby like to throw little reminders at me to tell me how some of us have greater concerns than prolonged unemployment, annoying bill collectors, crabgrass and medflies. Tonight, I learned my beautiful, funny, talented and inspiring friend has MS. And while I grieve for her, I am grateful for my own life--medflies and all. I'd like to think I've given Kate and Ira a reason to be just a little bit proud.

No comments: